Waakye or rice and beans is a Ghanaian / African / Carribean dish . Yes healthy and protein filled . Is a great dish for Saturday mornings where I come from (Kumasi ) and some parts of the country . Ingredients are simple and easy to get . It just takes time to cook and needs to be watched . You wil need ;
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 cup black eyed beans
- Sorghum leaves and or 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Salt to taste
- And of course water
- Sort and rinse beans and soak about 45 minutes to an hour before cooking. Put water on fire. Allow it to boil or bubble then add in beans . Cook for about 45 minutes.Wash the sorghum leaves.
- Cut into usable lengths ,toss them in with the boiling beans, and allow them to cook together.
- If sorghum leaves are not available, add a teaspoon of baking soda.
- Remove the sorghum leaves from the beans after 5 minutes or let in be in it as long as you like it .
Wash the rice and add to the beans in the pot, along with more water.
Allow the mixture to cook for 15–20 minutes (or until the beans are tender and the rice is cooked and all liquid has been totally absorbed).
Be sure that the mixture does not burn and keep stirring while it cooks.
Season with salt.
Waakye is mostly severed with gari , vegetables , spaghetti , shito and tomato sauce . With protein , it mostly taste great with hard boiled eggs and fried fish . This recipe serves 4 . Enjoy